6-Activity Types in Oracle Primavera P6
Primavera P6 Activity Types
In oracle Primavera there are 6 types of activities, They are
· Start Milestone activity
· Finish Milestone
· Level of Effort
· WBS summary
In this article i will explain you Start and finish milestones and in upcoming article I will explain rest of them, by doing this way it will be easy for you to read and follow
Start Milestone & Finish Milestone
Imagine that you are an lawyer and planning to construct a house for yourself. You have a budget of 1 million dollars (I know that’s huge sum for a house :P) and want this construction to be done in 6 month duration.
Your friend is an civil engineer and you have given this project to him, your friend made a project plan in primavera that contains some 500+activites. When you gone through those activities you found many technical terms like casting, reinforcement, shuttering, scaffolding, conduit, binding wire etc etc..
you asked your friend, bro I really don’t understand these plan can you tell me
- When you start the project
- When you will finish foundation
- When you will finish the terrace work
- When you will start landscaping work
- When you finish landscaping work
- When you will complete finishing works
- When you will hand over the house
Now let’s come to the point
Look at the bold letters, these are events or milestones of the project. To make your client or sponsor understand the major dates, you can create these events as activities in primavera p6 and convert its type to start milestones or finish milestones
Difference between Start & Finish Milestones
If you start something, then its start milestone and if you finish something then its finish milestones
Here starting the project, starting landscaping can be convert to start milestones so that in primavera p6 it will display only the start date, finish date column will be blank
And finish foundation, handover etc can be convert to finish milestone so that in primavera p6 it will display only the finish date, start date column will be blank.
How to Create milestones in Primavera P6
Follow this steps to create milestones in p6.
Step 1. Create an activity
Step 2. Go to General Tab on bottom activity detail window
Step 3. Click on drop down button Under Activity Type
Step 4. Select Start or finish milestones
Difference between flags and Milestones in Primavera P6
Actualy meaning of flag and milestones are same, both are events and zero duration activites in Primavera p6
- Flags are used in Old version of Primavera P6 which is in P3
- flag either the start or completion of an activity or group of activities.
- Flags however can only have a predecessor, but no successor activities and thus have no impact on your schedule
- Flags do not need to be updated but are automatically completed when their predecessors are completed.
- Milestones can be updated manually
- Current versions of primavera p6 doesn’t have an option called flags, so forget about it
Please hit below buttons to receive notifications on our latest articles