Resource Loading or Cost Loading
To understand resource loading or cost loading in Primavera P6, you should first understand about resource productivity. After that you should understand technical terms that used in Primavera P6 for resource loading. Then it would be easy for you to load resources in Primavera P6
Imagine, your project manager asked you to calculate the number of labour resources required to finish an activity called EXCAVATION which has a planned duration of 30 days.
- Project = construction of 20 story building
- Excavation = 30days
- Labours= ???
From my previous project experience and also some data which I collected from costing department I understood, to do 100 cubic feet of excavation it mostly requires 2 labours to work 8hour/day
|Activity||Output / Productivity||No.of Labours required|
|Manual Excavation||100 CFT (Cubic feet)||2-Labours|
Now things are very easy for me
I called my surveyor friend who works in same company, and requested him to get me the amount of excavation that need to be done, and he calculated it to 10000 Cubic feet.
|Excavation Quantity||10000 CFT|
|Activity Duration||30 days|
Calculations based on Resource Productivity
Conclusion – Resource Loading
To do manual excavation activity in 30 days, I require 7 labours to work 8 hours/day. So total amount of work/day will 7×8=56Hour/Day
Following picture is the productivity of some of the resources in our project
How Resource Loading or Cost Loading works in Primavera P6
Imagine you are working in a company,
- This company can supply maximum of 5 masons/day.
- And each mason charges $50/day
- There is an activity Internal Plastering happening in site
- Duration of this activity is 10 day
- You have assigned 2mason/day to work on internal plastering activity
- 2mason/day means 16 hours of work/day (let’s consider each mason works 8 hours/day)
- If 2mason works for 10 days for internal plastering, then
- Total 20 units of mason required to finish internal plastering
- In other words 20 X 8=160Hours of mason work required to finish activity
- Each mason charges $50 /day
- So total cost of activity will be 20 X 50 = $1000
- Learn Complete Oracle Primavera P6 with Tutomaash
Look at this image now to understand the technical terms that Primavera P6 uses
Important terms in Resource Loading or Cost Loading
- Max Units/time
- Budgeted units/time
- Budgeted units
- Budgeted Cost
Hope you understand, I have made a video on how to create and assign resources in primavera p6. Please watch.
Please hit below buttons to receive notifications on our latest articles