Difference between Oracle Primavera P6 PPM and Primavera P6 EPPM.
Being an Primavera P6 Educator I had been asked many times, What is the difference between Oracle Primavera P6 PPM and EPPM. Let me try explain this very simple
Primavera P6 PPM Professional Standalone
Its called in many names, most common names are Primavera Standalone or called Professional Client or P6 Professional
Here is the interface of it
- P6 Professional Standalone can be installed directly to your PC, so that its called standalone
- P6 Professional Standalone can be used only with Windows operating system
- In Apple mac , you have to install virtual OS to install Primavera
- Latest version is 17.12
- Primavera P6 is an application that needs a server to connect always, where it saves all the data.
- Primavera P6 can be connect to SQLite, Oracle and SQL databases. Most commonly used is SQlite.
Here is an infographics that shows how Primavera P6 PPM Standalone works
Primavera P6 EPPM
We can use Primavera P6 EPPM as an web browser or an optional client or we can use both to work on EPPM, I personally prefer to use both web and optional client to do my work because whatever work i do in optional Client will be updated in EPPM Web, similarly whatever work you do in EPPM Web browser will be updated in client as well
Primavera P6 – WEB
- It needs an active internet connection
- Without connection to the server, we can’t work on EPPM
- P6 WEB requires a web browser to work with EPPM. internet explorer or Mozilla Firefox are commonly used
- Installation is very difficult according to me (I am not a great techie)
- Inorder to install P6 Web, you need to install many other packages, some are
- Weblogic Server
- Web Browser, I am using Mozilla firefox where java update is disable
- SQL or Oracle Server, I use SQL
- EPPM files from oracle edelivery
- Usually installation take 3-8 hours, for me it took 2 days.
- WEB version is installed in your local PCs by creating a local SQL or Oracle Server. We at tutomaash provide such services to our subscribers, you can mail at [email protected] to get more details
User interface of P6 WEB
Here is how an web interface looks like, user interface will give you clear idea about the difference between oracle primavera P6 ppm and eppm, did you noticed? it works on a web browser.
Primavera P6-Optional Client
- Optional client interface is similar to standalone interface
- If you are using optional client, you must connect it with WEB for full access
- Few options are not available in optional client
User interface of P6 Optional Client
Difference Between Primavera P6 Standalone and Client
I have already told the user interface of standalone and optional client is similar, but there are few differences, lets explore what are the options available and not available in these two versions
Note: Options which are not available in optional client is available in its WEB version.
I hope you understood this well. If further clarification is required please post that to our Primavera P6 Forums
If you would like to take an online training course on oracle primavera p6 from an experienced professional please visit our special courses
Please hit below buttons to receive notifications on our latest articles